Note: Although this recipe uses Halibut, feel free to substitute any flaky firm white fish. Examples include Black Drum, Cod, Haddock, Redfish, and Striped Bass.
- 4 large Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 2-3 quarts Vegetable Oil
- 3 cups of Flour
- 12 ounce bottle of Dark Beer
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ pounds of Halibut, cut into strips 4-5 inches long by 1 inch thick
- Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Tartar Sauce or Aioli Sauce
- Halve each large peeled potato lengthwise. Slice each half lengthwise into large wedges. Once cut, soak wedges in cold water for about 30 minutes. (Removes some of the excess starchiness of the spuds)
- Heat oil in deep pot or deep fryer until temperature reaches approximately 300-325 degrees. While oil is heating up, drain potatoes from water and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Begin frying potatoes 1/3 at a time for about 6-8 minutes a batch stirring occasionally. Remove each batch and place in a bowl laden with paper towels and into the refrigerator or freezer so they drain oil and dry out a bit.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Also preheat large sauté pan over medium high heat with olive oil. When warm, place in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip cakes and cook for another 3-4 minutes.