Beer Battered Fish & Chips
Traditional english fish and chips takeaway meal
- 4 Pieces large Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 2-3 Quarts Vegetable Oil
- 3 Cups Flour
- 12 Ounces Dark Beer
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 Each Lemons
- 1 Jar Tartar Sauce or Aioli Sauce
- Halve each large peeled potato lengthwise. Slice each half lengthwise into large wedges. Once cut, soak wedges in cold water for about 30 minutes. (Removes some of the excess starchiness of the spuds)
- Heat oil in deep pot or deep fryer until temperature reaches approximately 300-325 degrees. While oil is heating up, drain potatoes from water and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Begin frying potatoes 1/3 at a time for about 6-8 minutes a batch stirring occasionally. Remove each batch and place in a bowl laden with paper towels and into the refrigerator or freezer so they drain oil and dry out a bit.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Also preheat large sauté pan over medium high heat with olive oil. When warm, place in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip cakes and cook for another 3-4 minutes.