Gulf Red Snapper Veracruz
4 6-ounce portions of boneless skinless Gulf Red Snapper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice drained, but reserve juice
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, dried
1/3 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons golden raisins
1 tablespoon capers, drained
Kosher salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
For the fish:
1. Pat fillets dry and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot quickly sear fillets until slightly brown. Remove from the pan and reserve pan drippings for sauce.
For the sauce:
1. Using pan with reserved drippings, add onion and cook until translucent.
2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned.
3. Add tomatoes and cook for approx two minutes.
4. Add bay leaf, parsley, oregano, and 1/4 of reserved tomato juice. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 5-6 minutes.
5. Add olives, raisins, and capers. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Return fish to pan and simmer spooning sauce over fish. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Transfer fish with sauce to plate and serve with rice.
- Tags: Red Snapper
- Blake Groomer