Note: Before starting rinse and scrub mussels under cool running water to remove any beards or barnacles. One good thing about the PEI Mussels is they are relatively clean and this step is usually pretty easy.
- 2 pounds of PEI Mussels, rinsed, scrubbed, and debearded
- ¼ cup of Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Chopped Garlic
- ¼ cup of Onion, finely chopped
- 3 ounces Basil, finely chopped
- 1 ½ ounces of Oregano, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup Roma Tomatoes, quarter inch dice
- 1 cup dry White Wine (Chardonnay etc..)
- 1 jar Tomato Sauce (15 ounces variety)
- Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
- ½ stick of Unsalted Butter
- Add olive oil to large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add white wine and reduce liquid by half over medium heat (3-4 minutes). Add basil, oregano, diced tomato, tomato sauce, and mussels and simmer for 4-5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. Fold in butter 1 tablespoon at a time and simmer until all mussels are opened.
- Serve with crusty bread for soaking up juices or next to your favorite pasta. Enjoy!!!