- Eight Jumbo Sized Sea Scallops (U/10 or bigger)
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp of clarified butter or unsalted butter (reserve 3 tbsp for making the brown
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- Pat the scallops with a paper towel until nice and dry. Season generously with
Kosher salt. (Make sure scallops are pretty dry. Helps form that golden crust.)
- Place a non-stick pan on high heat and add olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter. Let it
heat up to just before it smokes. Shouldn’t take too long.
- Place scallops in pan standing on their flat surfaces. (IMPORTANT: Resist the
temptation to move them. Don’t shake the pan or adjust the scallops. Leaving
them alone helps created that desired crust.) Cook for about two minutes or until
you can peek under and see a brown crust. Carefully flip each scallop to the
opposite side and cook for about a minute. Don’t overcook them or they will get
rubbery. Only a minute is needed on the second side and only three minutes or less
total. Remove scallops from pan.
- Add reserved butter to pan and heat over low heat until it begins to turn a
caramel color. (This is called browning you butter which brings out a nutty flavor.)
When that color is achieved remove from heat and add lemon juice. Spoon over hot
pan seared scallops for a great butter sauce.